Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Progress!!

Sorry we haven't updated in a while, we've been busy as usual. Danny spent a couple of days away at a leadership conference last week and this past weekend was May Fest, which is when pretty much everyone in Bluffton and the surrounding areas, gathers on one street in downtown and Bluffton and it's like a flea market/craft show/fair. One of the campuses of our church happens to be on this one street of May Fest so we put on a big to do. Here's a shot of Danny with the youth band rocking out :)


In other news, we have painted one of the many rooms in our new house that needs to be painted (and by many I mean all). I think we have a before shot of this room but I can't find it at the moment. It was two tone pink. It took 2 coats of primer to cover it up. But now it is beautiful and neutral! I love it. I'll have to post another shot once it is decorated.

Another big accomplishment was dealing with our yard. Since our house was vacant for about a month and half the lawn and weeds were completely overgrown when we moved in. Then it took us about another week to actually get the mower out, find our lawn gloves and do it. So we are now on great terms with the neighbors and actually got some homemade cards from two little neighbor kids today. So sweet, we love neighbors. Speaking of our yard though, we have some interesting plants in our new yard. One of which is a fruit tree. I have consulted my only plant expert (thank you Daddy) and I am still at a loss as to what kind of fruit this is. Any ideas? It tastes sort of like a pear (yes I ate some).


I am also including a picture of my lovely orchid that we received as a housewarming gift. It's not a great shot, but I just wanted everyone to be jealous of this magnificant orchid :)


So life is good, settling in is really good. Things are going well at Pier 1. Although I have learned the strangest thing about people in Bluffton. It seems that anyone over about 50 (no offense) considers a convertible equal with a pick-up truck. We sell a lot of furniture and large items and so it's just the funniest thing when I ask someone if they will have room in their vehicle for something and they're like "oh yeah, it's fine, I have a convertible". And I would say that about 99% of the time that convertible is a Chrysler Sebring. You really should see all these people hauling furniture sticking out of their convertible "pick-up". Just one of those things about living in a retirement area, I guess.
Love you guys, we'll try to be better about writing more regularly.

7 comments:

Mom G said...

Wow, I have no idea what that fruit is - why don't you bring one in to Pier One? Maybe a local will recognize it.

Love the bathroom paint job. The sink counter looks so smooth - is that granite? If so, I am jealous - it took me until my 50s to get granite counters!!!
Speaking of 50s, I would absolutely put furniture in a convertible, so I guess I'm true to my age group.

Drew and Suzy said...

I'm so glad you're settling into your new home. The bathroom paint job looks great! We had a TON of painting to do when we moved in, too -- I've painted our living room, dining room, upstairs hallway, master bedroom, guest bedroom and family room in the basement. Whew! This has been spread out over about a year though, so pace yourself. ;) Oh, and I tagged you, Mary, in my last blog to do your "fives". I got tagged to do this one by a couple of friends out here. You don't have to do it, if you're too busy with work and paint and such. :) I'd love to see, though! :)

Unknown said...

I hate to break it to you but in that first picture, I would not exactly call that a "street" that your church is on. Looks to be more like a dirt path :)

Your orchid is lovely. Who warmed your house with that?

Unknown said...

PS - you should send that fruit picture to Marny. OR you should ask Aunt Trish next time you go to Hilton Head. Don't eat anymore 'til then.

SteveMonett said...

Well, seeing the stone of the fruit it certainly is not a Pawpaw. The fruit looks like a plum of some kind but the leaves are wrong for plum.

Isn't it nice to get fresh paint on walls. It makes the room new and makes it yours.

SteveMonett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danny and Mary Gonzalez said...

To answer the questions- unfortunately that is not granite in the bathroom, I wish! It's laminate, but all the counters in the house have this "granite-look" finish on them which makes them shiny. And the orchid was a gift from our friend and realtor, Gaynell. She gave it to us on the day of closing.