Friday, February 8, 2008

DMV, etc.

So I forgot to mention the DMV. Mary and I went there yesterday to get our licenses and to get her car registered in South Carolina. So we go to the DMV and they tell us that we need all these documents for proof of citizenship and residency and ownership of the car and stuff. So we go home to get everything we have and then go to the "county seat" to pay our tax on Mary's car then returned to the DMV.

We walked in and got our forms and 2 numbers (one for licenses and the other for registration). Within 30 seconds they call BOTH the numbers. So we scramble to the desk and are told that the person I am supposed to see isn't at the main desk, but is around the corner in an office. Anyway, I needed all kinds of paperwork and to fill out these forms but Mary had almost all the legal documents so I end up running back and forth to her to get what I need to get my license.

Eventually it comes out that we don't live where we are getting our mail sent to but we don't have ANY proof that we do live where we live. So they call the manager in, who has had a long day already, and she basically says "just give them their licenses." The woman working with me does something she's probably not supposed to do on the computer and makes it work. Anyway, I return to the main desk and meet up with Mary whose process has been no less interesting.

All that to say we have SC licenses which look goofy to us (who have only known VA ones) and Mary's car is legal.

The best part is that when we move (in the next month or so) we get to update all of this information again and get new licenses.

3 comments:

Mom G said...

I like the palmetto license plate.

Unknown said...

yeah, so what address do you actually have on your licenses? I am surprised they actually gave them to you. But that is pretty amazing you only had to wait 30 seconds. must be some kind of record.

Unknown said...

Somehow anything other than a Virginia license plate just doesn't look quite right on the little Honda, but oh well...change happens. And how did they give you a DL without a permanent address? Very interesting...