Friday, February 8, 2008

Worship, comments and life

Danny writing:

Last week I attended my first worship practice. The worship at this church (Buckwalter Campus) is super contemporary and I love it. The guy they have playing bass has a 6 string and is amazingly talented. He is good enough that he can play along with me (running riffs and leads) while I hold the basic notes or a simple riff. It's quite wonderful to have a such a talented bassist around. It makes me want to practice and improve...well, kinda. :-) Anyway, he is going to be out of town this Sunday so I'll be paying bass at the church this week which is cool. I haven't played in a church service since before the MZF sanctuary issues.

I have a meeting with a volunteer (also a mother) who helps coordinate the youth worship. That is basically the final frontier that needs to be addressed in the current youth program. Over the past few weeks I have been "cleaning house" and reorganizing what youth group is and how its run. although it has improved many times over what it was, the changes have been systemic but subtle. For instance I "save" a lot of time to youth group by simply starting on time and not letting the kids run amok between activities. Anyway, the group is awesome and when it is more settled and finalized, I'll write more about it.

About all those fiery comments:

If you want to e-mail me, you can do so at "dgonzalez@thechurchofthecross.net." Apparently you guys e-mail Mary, but I'm not feeling the love anywhere except on the blog. I really do like comments, but that's just because I'm insecure and need an inordinate amount of affirmation. I'm not sure how Mary has the blog set up Quena, but I'll let her adjust things (man code for "I don't know how to do that and probably could find out how, but I'm lazy"...) on the account.

Mary's new cell phone number is (843) 816-1788. She loves calls and text messages.

Life is good. The inspection of our house went well yesterday and there are really no big problems. e both went to the inspection which was good. It was our first time in the house without the owners there. This inspection gave us the freedom to speak our minds, share our concerns, dream of our changes, etc. We really like the house and if we get it you must all come down and visit us (you will all fit) and help us paint and stuff.

Last night, while I was attending my 2nd worship practice at the church, Mary was at home watching TV. She was trying to watch two of our favorite shows but they were interrupted by breaking news of the Dave Barry variety. Apparently there is a sugar refinery in GA very near to us here (probably about 45 minutes away). Last night it "exploded" in some way. Well, as you can imagine this consumed the local media, as it should. However, the reports on the TV lasted for a little over2 hours which rivaled the coverage of the 9/11 attacks. Again, not a problem IF THERE IS NEWS TO REPORT!

I walk into the house and Mary turns the TV to a news cast. The people at the desk are scrambling to fill the dead air. They have resorted to displaying pictures that callers have sent over their phones while interviewing them on their cell phones from the studio. Again, no one was at the scene. Just people who lived near it or heard it or saw it or heard about it.

She changes the channel to another broadcast news and remarks "These people are saying even less!" and they were. They were talking about what year the plant was opened and showing black and white photos of the plant being built. It was painful to watch. I don't mind that they wanted to report this as breaking news. To me, cell phone accounts and pictures do not warrant any kind of exhaustive reporting.

We are too content to feed ourselves an unending stream of drivel instead of digesting fully something of actual substance. Thus ends my rant.

We love you all. Thank you for leaving such great comments and for sending e-mails and for calling us, etc. :-)

*************************************
Oafish Ya'll Eagle Disc Lamer:
As Equal Opportunity Family/Friends, we do not discriminate based on means of communication, length, typographical errors, age, sex, race, smell, taste in music, location, or fashion sense.

1 comment:

Mom G said...

I'm glad to see your new guitar is getting a workout and I'm looking forward to hearing more about the youth group - sounds like you're digging right in! And thanks for the disk lamer - those of us with no fashion sense are glad we qualify!