Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Imposition of Ashes, mortgage negotiations, etc.

So this morning was a family chapel at Cross Schools (this happens monthly) and this week not only included the usual Eucharist but also the imposition of ashes (getting an ash cross rubbed onto your forehead by clergy). I had the distinction of "clicker" for the 68 slide liturgical powerpoint presentation which was occasionally followed during the homily. Anyway, it was a neat service. There is another like it at noon today and yet another tonight at 7. They try to get all parishioners involved if possible.

Last night I had the distinction of being the "pancake hander-outer" at the annual "Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner." It was fun and since it is a free community thing, we had a lot of fun with it. One of the other younger guys in the church, Clayton, started making 10" chocolate chip and mini marshmallow pancakes which were a HUGE hit with the young kids (not so much the parents). It was a also a great opportunity for me, as new staff, to see hundreds of people whose names I should know by now but of course I don't. :-)

Also going on in our lives now are negotiations with two mortgage companies ("When banks compete, you win." ~Lending Tree) and so far it seems to be advantageous for us. God us truly blessing us in every way. It even seems like we might be able to close sooner than the proposed mid-March date, but we'll see how that goes. We have our inspection tomorrow morning which could be very interesting, but we're expecting not many issues because the house was built in 2005.

Mary is looking at some different job options now because she's only working 12-20 hours a week and feeling like it's just not worth it to have a job and make so little. Please pray for this process to be a quick one for her sake. We are very much not settled right now and that should improve with an actual abode of our own, but we are trusting the Lord to do what He does in our hearts during these trying times.

Mary's knees are not healing well so she is going to go see a doctor hopefully this week.

Other than that there's really only a million details and logistical nightmares going on right now, but that's how life is for us right now. :-)

Thank you to all who post comments (basically Ellie and Mom G). It's nice to know that at least someone cares. ;-)

6 comments:

Mom G said...

Sorry to hear about your knees, Mary! I hope they heal soon and you feel 100%. Relocating is disorienting enough, but a car crash and everything else must do awful things to your rest and peace. Keep us posted on the job situation.

Danny, your recent "distinctions" sound like one of those old Bud tribute song commercials -
"Here's to you, Mister Slide-Show-Clicker..."

Jess said...

So I see how it is. I email, but apparently comments mean more. Whatever! BTW what is Mary's new #? Praying for you guys and of course we miss you both tons! Love you! ~Jess

Anonymous said...

Mary, I never use my gmail account, which is why I haven't left any comments. You can open up comments to visitors and just block "anonymous" posts, I think.

Shanna said...

You will find that only 1 out of 50 people who love your blog will leave a comment, they will just assume you know they enjoy it.

What good news about the housing situation! SOO exciting for you guys... and what's this about a playroom? ;-D

Already miss you twice as much as we did before.

Unknown said...

I beg your pardon, not leaving comments? I agree with Jessica so comments mean more? I am so sorry about your knees, my Bear :( I was so glad to get your vmail and your new phone!
So Joe says you should try to get a job at the Squat 'n Gobble! That's pretty funny!
Take care, my preciouses. Love Mama

Unknown said...

I really feel famous now that I know how many people actually do read this blog (looks like 6). haha!